What's this blog about anyway? Read our "Welcome Message

Friday, January 26, 2007

Base Training: Week 4

I am wrapping up the 4th week of my base training. That means next week will be another time trial (TT) week. By time trial, that means I'll put myself through a grueling run and bike self test, with a few day apart of course. The purpose of the TT test is to measure progress on aerobic fitness. In previous years, I have training ..completely.. wrong. Wrong in that all my workouts were anaerobic in nature. The result of that was that my heart rate (HR) was always through the roof, I always felt tired, worn out, sore, and even got periodic migraines. In 2007, while I don't have an official 'coach', I am following some well know training principles. Specifically, start with aerobic-only 'base' training. Then as the race season gets closer, mix in more anaerobic (high intensity) training. We will see what next weeks TT show. My AVG HR in my first run TT was 178 Beats Per Minute (BPM), with a max of 187BPM. For the first bicycle TT my AVG HR was 170BPM, with a max of 185 BPM. More on HR, BPM, base training in the coming posts. If you can't wait, then check out some of the "Training Links" on the side of my blog. Peace...

No comments: